Sunday 31 July 2011

31st July-A massive gaping Pensions problem, does Iain Duncan Smith have the answers



I like the recent quote from Lord Hutton on public service pensions which went something like this:

It's not about removing what is a good pension position but about making it more affordable for the country. Well said that Lord, what we want is to get back to everyone retiring with a really strong pension provision.

So how do we get private pension provision to this level ?? - is the problem to be solved

Consider this from a recent OECD report:
outlook for future economic growth in developed economies is "uncertain and sluggish," and pension funds could suffer in the medium term, the OECD said warning that a fall in interest rates would weaken overall fund performance. 
http://www.dunover.com/investments/index.php?topic=1232.0

So what we are saying here is that pension funds are going to perform poorly. 

Consider this also:
the average pension pot submitted to Aon Hewitt is £56,000. If you took your 25% tax free cash of £14,000 then the remaining £42,000 would buy you a pension of £1200 a year
and also maybe this:
If you earn £40,000 a year and paid 9% into a pension that would be £300 a month. But to achieve a pension of say £24,000 a year index linked you would have to pay £600 a month from the age of 23.  

and the view from Tom McPhail pensions advisor at Hargreaves Lansdown
"Everyone should find out how much is being paid into their pension if it is less than 12pc of your salary, it is not enough." 
http://www.dunover.com/investments/index.php?topic=1231.0

Let me give the view of Dunover.com in all of this.

Yes I want to save for a comfortable retirement.

No I don't want to lock my money away into a pension fund where I can't get at it again until I'm 65

Yes I am not taking the tax breaks available for investing in retirement plans because I want free access to my money and avoid it being locked into poorly peforming pension funds until I'm 65

No, my children do not want to invest £600 a month in their pension as they have other financial issues to address i.e. paying back their student loans and trying to buy a home.

No I don't want to be locked into an Annuity when I retire because they are an increasingly poorly performing product 

Yes I may consider putting my investment funds into a pension plan near to my retirement as that may be beneficial from a tax perspective 

The overall message being:  
We need to think again on how the common man can build up a retirement income.

The sales spin from the retirement savings industry is not going to wash with me.

I and my children are not going to lock away £600 a month in a pension fund from the age of 23 in the hope that it will still be there when we get to aged 65.

So the next idea to sell us is ............................???

No comments:

Post a Comment