Tuesday 28 June 2011

Thorntons chocolates - yummy yummy, but not if your an investor


Why was I not surprised when Thorntons announced they were closing down another 120 stores today.

Thats because every time I look into a Thorntons store it is practically empty.

Why is that I have often pondered, I don't know the answer.

They are expensive, shops are rather dull.

Diana is a great chocolate fan but all she ever does at Thornton's is walk in and ask to see the discounted chocolate on offer.

Share price is down almost 50% since last October.

Recovery play, I think not.

What is the answer to Thorntons chocolates ??

No doubt soon going West, the same way as another iconic British brand i.e. Cadbury

1 comment:

  1. I'm with Diana. I only buy Thorntons when they are reduced. They are nice chocolates but not luxury chocolates in terms of either taste or branding. Yet they charge luxury prices. A risky investment I would say.

    ReplyDelete